New Years is my favorite holiday. I know that in reality its “just a day” but I love the prospect of the shiny new beginning , the chance to set the tone for a new year, to make a fresh start. Oddly though I don’t usually make resolutions. Goals maybe but not “Resolutions”. That is until this year anyway. I’m going to try some and they’re going to be strict: No new clothes. I’m going to cut my self off altogether. This will be harder on me then you would think.
My exceptions? A few.
1. Not going to buy any clothes unless its a replacement of something that is worn out to the point of needing replacement. Since I tend to hang on to everything long after the point when other people would have considered things worn out this pretty much leaves me socks… and maybe some undergarments.
2. If I gain or loose more then 10lbs I’ll be buying new pants.
3. I’m going to give myself a small allowance of $25/month that I’ll need to save up if I expect to have any fun at my favorite sample sale in October. The sample sale is the incentive not to use any of the allowance for anything.
4. Supplies for handmade, are limited to notions, patterns, tools etc. not fabric or yarn. Because I have a lot of fabric and a LOT of yarn. (Also does not count ‘work yarn’).
5. People can still give me clothes… so if maybe there is a birthday or something like that…
The fact is I don’t ‘need’ anything and it really shouldn’t be hard at all but I don’t think this will be easy, because I really really like clothes… REALLY like them. I think I’m going to learn a lot about my self. And hopefully save a bit of money. I was inspired by the Seam Allowance Group at A Verb for Keeping Warm/Ravelry, they’re committed to making 25% of the clothing they wear and have a sort of support group for the process. I love it. Sadly this not actually practical for me this year. I’m with them in spirit but I don’t actually have time to make half the things I want much less to get the point where 25% of the wardrobe is handmade… Next year. What about you, any resolutions?
In the spirit of the day I’ll have a little sale tomorrow- 25% off all the Savory Knitting patterns all day 1/1/13 (from 12:01am to 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time). Use the coupon code happynewyear.
Happy New Year!